Pages

Monday, April 14, 2014

20% project reflection March 17th-23rd

As a tradition trained teacher I found this first year teaching Montessori very difficult.  From learning new materials and curriculum, positive discipline and stepping back and becoming a guide for the students and not the source of information. I have also struggled with the fact that my charter school is in its second year of being open and each classroom has a large population of students that came from traditional public school, never had Montessori. As a lower elementary (1-3) teacher it has been difficult getting these students normalized.  Montessori observed that when children are allowed freedom in an environment suited to their needs, they blossom. After a period of intense concentration, working with materials that fully engage their interest, children appear to be refreshed and contented. Through continued concentrated work of their own choice, children grow in inner discipline and peace. She called this process "normalization" and cited it as "the most important single result of our whole work" (The Absorbent Mind, 1949).

I thought with the struggles I have had this school year I thought that I could help my students by learning more of the materials, which lead to my 20% project.  I thought the more I educated myself about the materials the more comfortable I would feel giving lessons with them.  However, I am finding that it is not just feeling comfortable with the materials, but learning the progression of the materials has also helped.     

I still struggle with my experience as a traditional teacher and making the switch to a Montessori teacher.  Every morning from 8:45 - 11:45 is our work period.  I am seeing what Maria Montessori would refer to as “False Fatigue.” it is generally around this time that noise levels tend to escalate in a Montessori environment. Usually there are several wanderers who are restless from their work. As Maria Montessori observed classrooms, she referred to this time as “False Fatigue.” To an outsider, this time may seem disorganized. The Montessori guide notices this phenomenon and remains calm. The students will feel this ease and the restlessness will subside and the students will continue their work until 11:00 a.m.  I recognize that I am still working on staying calm and and allowing the students to get back on task, but it is really hard to do.

I know that overtime these problems will work themselves out.  I am working hard to find resources online to help me feel more comfortable teaching in a Montessori environment.   

No comments:

Post a Comment